Here’s How You Can Prevent Frozen Pipes
When the temperatures drop below freezing, your residence or business can be susceptible to pipes freezing and bursting. When this happens it can cause significant water damage & flooding to areas around the burst. This is especially true if you aren’t home and there’s no one to turn off the water. However, we have created a list of tips and tricks to help you prevent your pipes from freezing!
10 Ways To Help Prevent Frozen Pipes In Raleigh NC
- DRAIN WATER FROM OUTDOOR HOSES AND DISCONNECT FROM OUTDOOR FAUCETS. Also, cover all outdoor faucets to prevent freezing.
- INSPECT PIPES IN AREAS THAT ARE UNHEATED. Insulate any pipes located in these areas.
- Heat tape, pipe sleeves, heat cables and similar materials can be used to protect exposed water pipes from freezing. Even newspaper can help insulate pipes.
- Keep garage doors closed when water supply lines are located in the garage.
- Open cabinets indoors to allow heat to reach pipes underneath sinks.
- Seal leaks that allow cold air inside. Also, look for air leaks around electrical wiring and vents that are in close proximity to pipes.
- If you will be awau from home, keep the thermostat set to no lower than 55F. Have a neighbor check on the house periodically to make sure no pipes are freezing.
- KEEP WATER TRICKLING OUT OF A FAUCET when temperatures are very cold. This will relieve pressure inside of the pipe and could prevent bursting if an ice blockage occurs.
- If you suspect a pipe has frozen, warm air from a hair dryer can help thaw it out. Never try to thaw a pipe out with an open flame.
- IF A PIPE BURSTS TURN OFF THE WATER FROM THE MAIN SHUT OFF VALVE
Save Money & Hassle By Preventing Frozen Pipes in The Triangle
If you live in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary or anywhere in the triangle of NC, you know that we are subject to wild changes in temperature. It can be 70F one day and dip below freezing the next night. As water freezes, the water molecules expand which puts extra pressure on the pipe and the joints of the pipe. When a water pipe bursts, your household may be without running water, which is a major inconvenience. A water pipe burst also comes with the added headache of having to have the water pipes repaired or, in some cases, replaced altogether. Furthermore, if the pipe bursts suddenly or no one is around to turn the water off, it can cause flooding and water damage in your home, which can lead to costly repairs.
Carolina Restoration Services of North Carolina, Inc. is a Certified Firm through IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) and is affiliated with BBB, RIA, and HBA of Raleigh/Wake County. +
Our crew members have individual certifications through IICRC in the following areas: Water Damage Restoration, Fire & Smoke Restoration, Applied Structural Drying, Applied Microbial Remediation, Carpet Repair & Reinstallation, and Odor Control.
NC General Contractor License: 43004