Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes and Burst Pipes
When the temperatures drop below freezing, your residence or business can be susceptible to pipes freezing and bursting. When this happens it can cause significant water damage and flooding to areas around the burst. This is especially true if you aren’t home and there’s no one to turn off the water. However, we have created a list of tips and tricks to help you prevent frozen pipes and burst pipes in Raleigh, NC!
What Causes Frozen Pipes To Burst?
When the water in your home’s pipes freeze, it expands causing pressure, which can lead to the pipe cracking and breaking. The main causes of frozen pipes in Raleigh, NC are quick temperature drops, insufficient insulation, and thermostats that are set too low. The first step to prevent pipes from freezing is to determine which pipes are most susceptible to freezing.
Pipes that are exposed to extreme cold during the winter are more likely to freeze. These include outdoor water pipes such as sprinkler lines and swimming pool supply lines. Pipes located in unheated areas of the home, such as basements, attics, garages, crawl spaces and even under the kitchen or bathroom sink are also at risk of freezing. In addition, pipes that run along exterior walls with insufficient insulation are also at risk for freezing in winter. Continue reading to learn tips to prevent frozen pipes in Raleigh, NC.
10 Tips To Help Prevent Frozen Pipes In Raleigh NC
- DRAIN WATER FROM OUTDOOR HOSES AND DISCONNECT FROM OUTDOOR FAUCETS. Also, cover all outdoor faucets to prevent freezing.
- INSPECT PIPES IN AREAS THAT ARE UNHEATED. Insulate any pipes located in these areas.
- Heat tape, pipe sleeves, heat cables and similar materials can be used to protect exposed water pipes from freezing. Even newspaper can help insulate pipes.
- Keep garage doors closed when water supply lines are located in the garage.
- Open cabinets indoors to allow heat to reach pipes underneath sinks.
- Seal leaks that allow cold air inside. Also, look for air leaks around electrical wiring and vents that are in close proximity to pipes.
- If you will be away from home, keep the thermostat set to no lower than 55F. Have a neighbor check on the house periodically to make sure no pipes are freezing.
- KEEP WATER TRICKLING OUT OF A FAUCET when temperatures are very cold. This will relieve pressure inside of the pipe and could prevent bursting if an ice blockage occurs.
- If you suspect a pipe has frozen, warm air from a hair dryer can help thaw it out. Never try to thaw a pipe out with an open flame.
- IF A PIPE BURSTS TURN OFF THE WATER FROM THE MAIN SHUT OFF VALVE
Frozen Pipes and Burst Pipes in Raleigh, NC
Carolina Restoration Services is the full service water damage restoration company you can count on 24 hours a day to handle frozen pipes, burst pipes, and other emergency water damage services. Technicians are on call around the clock to provide immediate response and handle your water damage cleanup, water damage repair, and water damage restoration needs. Whatever your commercial or residential restoration needs in Raleigh NC and surrounding service areas of the Triangle, contact the experts at Carolina Restoration Services.
Carolina Restoration Services of North Carolina, Inc. is a Certified Firm through IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) and is affiliated with BBB, RIA, and HBA of Raleigh/Wake County. +
Our crew members have individual certifications through IICRC in the following areas: Water Damage Restoration, Fire & Smoke Restoration, Applied Structural Drying, Applied Microbial Remediation, Carpet Repair & Reinstallation, and Odor Control.
NC General Contractor License: 43004
Contact Our Team